Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Hayden not giving up title



Hayden not giving up on title yet

Hayden has had a disappointing start to the 2007 campaignMotoGP world champion Nicky Hayden says he has not given up hope of retaining his title despite a disastrous start to the 2007 campaign.
After seven races the 25-year-old is 11th in this season's standings but he says a good display at Sunday's British Grand Prix could revive his season.
"Deep down I believe in myself as much as I ever did and I believe I can turn things around," he told Five Live.
"I can't wait for Friday at Donington. I know I'm up to the challenge."
I've put myself in a hole but I'm excited to fight my way out of it
Nicky Hayden
While team-mate Dani Pedrosa has flourished on his new 800cc bike this season, Hayden has struggled and currently lies 99 points behind championship leader Casey Stoner.
He admitted his failure to adapt had hit his chances, but did not want to use that as an excuse for his poor showing so far.
"We didn't make the transition as good as we liked and some of our competitors have caught us off guard - I need to do a better job of riding this 800," he said.
"I'm honest with myself - I know I've made some mistakes, I fell off in France with only a few laps to go and I've got to take the blame for that.
"But I've got some good guys in my corner and that gives me confidence as much as anything.
"I've put myself in a hole but I'm excited to fight my way out of it. I've got plenty of work to do to just get back - obviously first I need to get back on the podium, then winning races, but racing's a funny game, things change quickly.
"I know if I don't get back up front immediately any chances of having a good overall finish go out the window but I'm honestly not worried."

No comments: